This, the first edition of the Nuremberg Chronicle, details the history of the world through the year of its publication, in 1493, along with a final section describing the anticipated last days. The text was compiled by Hartmann Schedel and was printed at the press of Anton Koberger. The Nuremberg Chronicle contains 1,800 woodcut illustrations by Michael Wolgemut and Wilhelm Pleydenwurff. Along with detailed maps and views of major European cities, the woodcuts depict exotic (and often highly embellished) flora and fauna, monsters, mythical tribes and peoples, biblical scenes, and settings from everyday life around the then-known world.
Imprint based on second colophon (leaf [CCC]r): "... Ad intuitum autem et preces providorum civium Sebaldi Schreyer et Sebastiani Kamermaister hunc librum dominus Anthonius Koberger Nuremberge impressit. Adhibitis tamen viris mathematicis pingendique arte peritissimis Michaele Wolgemut et Wilhelmo Pleydenwurff quarum solerti, accuratissimaque animadversione tum civitatum tum illustrium virorum figure inserte sunt. Consummatum autem duodecima mensis Julij anno salutis no[st]re 1493."
Imperial folio; xylographic title page; 1809 woodcuts printed from 645 blocks; initial spaces.
Foliation: , CCXCIX, . Leaves XXXIX, CCXXIX, and CCXLVII misnumbered XIXX, CCXXXI, and CCXLXVII respectively.
Boston Public Library (Rare Books Department) copy Q.400a.2 FOLIO bound in early/contemporary tawed pigskin over bevelled wooden boards with brass cornerpieces, clasps, and catches. The autograph of Theodore Parker, an inscription in his hand, and the BPL Parker bookplate on front pastedown, along with two early inscriptions and two 19th-century dealer's descriptions. [1₁] recto: ownership inscription of "Domus Emersoni", “Valentinus Herbst[?]”, and "Thomas Höflich[?]", another early inscription giving the date and imprint of the edition, and the ink stamp of F.W. Christern. Early/contemporary marginalia throughout. Leaves CCLVIII-CCLX (all blank) are wanting, as is the final leaf (CCC). Leaf dimensions: 423 x 300 mm. Acquired via the Parker bequest in Oct. 1861.